giants

On Saturday October 10 I had the honor (and blessing) to attend the Black in Design Conference at Harvard's GSD, a conference which focuses on design (mainly architecture and urban planning) and the complex socioeconomic issues and triumphs faced by African American designers. It was magical. It was also inspiring for this young architecture student, because there are not many African American architects (or minority architects for that matter; there's about 2% of architects that are African American). Therefore seeing all of these architects and designers (and current GSD students) discussing their work and issues they've faced in their fields was stupefying.
There are a plethora of ways that I want to direct and guide this post. For instance being able to attend was a blessing and honor, because it was sold out when I found out about earlier in the week. Although I wasn't allowed to eat any of the food or attend the reception, it was still a great experience. This is the second time in the past 3 weeks that I've been blessed enough to attend an event without having a ticket (although these aren't the first times that this has happened). So from this I am reminded to just show up and ask. More importantly I am reminded that I am being watched over and my life is truly blessed by God and my family for making sacrifices to send me to Boston. And that attending Wellesley was the right choice. So this was one way I thought about going forth with this post, but it wasn't quiet enough...
I thought about discussing all of the accomplishments African American architects and designers have achieved and the goals they have. There were so many ideas discussed ranging from food injustice to increasing kids to pursue architecture. Or I could discuss why I want to be an architect (and it has to do with creating justice and social change).  Or how this was another confirmation that I am on the right path. Instead, all tell you the biggest takeaway that I got from the conference: it's constructed. Life is like physics, you can define the system, assume what you want, and simplify the system. So why not redefine the system we currently have to make a level and equal playing field? We have to stop making terrible and bias assumptions about groups of people, because you know what everyone does wrong and we're all perfectly imperfect and we all stand on the shoulders of giants.
Also if anyone from the Harvard GSD or AASU sees this please do this again next year!

my notes from the event



Share this:

, ,

CONVERSATION

0 comments :

Post a Comment