lately|recap

I haven't posted in a while because my life is insanely hectic, but in an "I can't believe all of this happening right now, it's great!" (not all of has been great, but I might get to that later). I know I don't normally post about my personal life, but I'm going to start to because people keep asking me to stay in touch, but it's becoming impossible to stay in touch with everyone who has asked. I direly want to keep in touch with everyone and considered creating a newsletter, but it does not allow me to dispell some of the myths of my life. I also want more to know about the journey that I am embarking on and allow others to witness the trials, struggles, and excelling that I will encounter. Additionally, I hope that I can encourage/attract some people to my project. The SEA is changing a lot, but a sailor needs to adjust the sails to winds, so expect to see more post like this in the future.

I should probably start with a recap of my first year of college at Swelles; it was arduous. I bravely took a graduate architecture course at MIT my first semester. I learned a lot, met some friendly and helpful graduate students. I realized early on that I had no clue what I had gotten myself into, and there is some software I didn't know that I should have. Granted I knew August of my senior year of high school when I realized my passion for architecture that I would be getting a late start. I had only taken a semester of fashion design, the only art class I had taken at that point, later in my senior year I took ceramics (#BESTDECISIONEVER). I was placed in art three times during secondary, once in middle school and twice in high school, and all three times I withdrew and switched to band and then theatre. I sort of regret it, but I don't at the same time, I learned a lot in both and was able to explore different arts. The class was a good learning experience all around. I spent most of my time my first semester at MIT/Boston my first semester. I had sailing practice twice a week, and I volunteered in Chinatown once, so between going to class at MIT and meeting with my group for the class, I spent about 5/7 days in the city. Sailing was impromptu, but one of the best decisions I've ever made, even considering falling into the Charles on the second practice.  I highly recommend the sport to anyone who is comfortable on semi-deep bodies of water and frequently moving on them. Chinatown volunteering was a great experience, very different from the volunteer work I did in high school (besides the zoo). This was more responsible on me and forced me to do more education planning, which I realized I'm not too fond of (also old school Southern discipline is way different from the North, but that's a different story for a different post). I was exhausted by the end of my first semester because I also took four classes at Swelles; art history, physics, environmental science, and calculus. Rapid overview of these courses: Art History (ARTH) SPECTACULAR, my prof is great (tbh the whole ARTH department is a solid A+)! Physics was and is the most difficult subject I have ever faced, calculus was okay, and my environmental science  (ES) course is hands down one of my favorite courses I've taken so far, but that might change after next semester. My ES course focused on food, agroecology, and Latin America; it was like a mix of Dan Barber, Alex Atala, science, history, and civil rights; it was amazing (there were some food tastings in the course, so I got to try some excellent coffee and eat chocolate)!  That pretty much sums up the first semester (sans some technical issues that spanned the whole semester from Lenovo which I would like to wholly forget ever happened), over wintersession I had an architecture internship at an architecture firm in San Antonio. The second semester, I took ARTH(part 2), physics (part 2), multivariable calc, history, and a writing course that was part of my ARTH course. ARTH II was organized differently, and I didn't care too much for the way it was organized, although I like hearing from all of the different profs. Multi was good, and my prof was uber cool. Physics II was still difficult as before, but I was way better with help from the Physics Goddess (one of my friends who loves the Classics and physics). History, if you follow me on twitter you probably saw all those tweets about the intensity of my history course, which I enjoyed; but explaining how I feel about the course is difficult it is the textbook definition of a love-hate relationship. That just about covers all of the course I took (the writing course is interesting as are all second-semester writing courses are strange). The second semester, in short, was much better than the first semester.
Now the interesting part, I'm sort of switching majors, I entered thinking I would double major in architecture and civil/environmental engineering, but I hate bridges and actually building infrastructure, I'd much rather design it. I also love water, energy, and (some aspects of) mechanical engineering. I have specific career goals and post-graduation goals that a traditional engineering degree won't allow me to pursue, which I will discuss later. Therefore, I'm switching my major to architecture and geoscience, with an unofficial minor in mechanical engineering; I call it community solutions engineering; which is a double major of an applied art with a science and a minor in engineering. There are numerous factors that are guiding my major change part of it is influenced by the Black by Design Conference  I attended at Harvard my first semester and part of it is considering my post-grad goal of opening a design/problem-solving/research studio, it equal parts science and architecture to remediate and solve some of the issues plaguing the world and people. I'll eventually do an entirely separate post about this at a later time.
Currently. This summer I'm interning at the San Antonio Zoo ( I also took a drawing course back at Swelles in June/July). I started a project called The Wild Natives Project you can read more about this here. In short, it's raising awareness for the native species in the San Antonio area and how citizens can save it. There are some more aspects of it that will I will post about there and here on the SEA. The drawing course I took was challenging in a different way from my physics class, but I loved every second of it and will eventually get the whole shading thing down.
Looking forward. I'm looking forward to my sophomore year (I have a paid research position, so you know that's pretty cool). I'm taking some insane courses that I look forward to, hydrogeology, volcanoes, and an architecture course. This is also the year that I start German! I'm pretty much only taking courses for my two majors.
This pretty much sums up the past year. Sounds great eh? There were and continue to be a bunch of bright spots in my life, but it's not all happy elves and I'll address that in one of the upcoming posts because it's midnight and I have to walk 8 miles in the morning.

Share this:

CONVERSATION

0 comments :

Post a Comment