CHNS

Image result for chns analyzer
a similar CHNS analyzer to the one I used

Unsure if I've mentioned it in my previous posts but I'm this year (and hopefully for the next couple) I'm working in a research lab on campus! So far it's been super! I'm loving lab research, learning lab techniques, and using scientific equipment. The lab I'm working in is insane as it focuses on urban agriculture and lead. Recently I learned how to use the CHNS analyzer, which determines the amount of Carbon, Hydrogen, Nitrogen, and Sulfur. To be pretty honest I was a bit nervous that I would mess up assembling the samples because they're minute and a bit tricky to assemble because of their size and the weight requirement (about 5mg).  Eventually, I got the hang of them and making the little burritos (more like pellets but we call them burritos in the lab), but not after dropping one of them and throwing 3 out, but you know gotta break a few eggs to make an omelet... 
So far I appreciate being part of a cutting-edge lab that aligns with my goals and plans both in the long and short term. This lab is helping to mold and shape what and who studio SEAS serves and how it will serve them. There are a plethora of reasons why I love the lab I'm working in but the utmost, is its interdisciplinary framework it consists of people from geosciences, environmental studies, biology, and chemistry to name a few. Part of the framework for studio SEAS is connecting people with varying interests, skills, and backgrounds (academic and not) to address an issue in a community. An issue that the community informs us of, or one that we hear about. Studio SEAS is still a work in progress and I'm still working out the inner mechanisms, focuses, and logistics of the Studio. 

Share this:

, ,

CONVERSATION

0 comments :

Post a Comment